Benchmarking for Regions
Benchmarking regions involves monitoring the performance of the regions in technological innovation by use of selected indicators. As a result of this monitoring, annual reports are written concerning the development of innovation and entrepreneurship in the regions in question.
Based on its international experience, URENIO Research Unit has developed 20 Innovation Indicators in total, which are used in Benchmarking regions. These indicators are classified under four major categories:
- Indicators concerning the System of Production
- GNP per capita
- Employment per sector
- Employment per branch of economic activity
- Exports per product
- Human Rsources Indicators
- Population with university degree
- Employment in Science and Technology Services
- Employment in knowledge-intensive services of science and technology
- Employment in Processing Science and Technology
- Research and Development Personnel
- Indicators concerning Knowledge Creation and Awareness
- Total expenditure for Research and Development
- Company expenditure for R&D
- Educational Institutes' expenses for R&&D
- Public Research Institutes' expenses for R&&D
- Patent applications
- Indicators concerning Development of Innovation
- New enterprises per sector
- Innovative manufacturing enterprises
- Sales of Product Innovations from manufacturing enterprises
The collection of the data which determines the indicators is carried out by experts of the URENIO Research Unit. The researchers also make use of the most updated statistical data from the European Union's Statistical Information Service (EUROSTAT), from the General Secretariat for Research and Technology of the Ministry of Development, and from the National Statistical Service of Greece, of the Ministry of Economy and Finance.
The indicators of a region are compared to those of:
- the rest 12 regions of Greek territory,
- Greece as a whole,
- the European Union and its member states.
The comparison produces tables and diagrams for every indicator.
The processing of the data also determines for the region in question the three performance indicators of European regions, as defined in the European Table of Results for Innovation.
- Regional National Summary Innovation Index (RNSII). It is defined as the mean of all innovation indicators of a given region, divided by the mean of the whole country. If the value of the indicator is larger than 100, then the innovative performance of the region exceeds the mean of the country.
- Regional European Summary Innovation Index (REUSII). It is defined as the mean of all innovation indicators of a given region, divided by the mean of the European Union. If the value of the indicator is larger than 100, then the innovative performance of the region exceeds the mean of the European Union.
- Revealed Regional Summary Innovation Index (RRSII). It is defined as the mean of indicators RNSII and REUSII.